Snickerdoodles are a soft-on-the-inside, crunchy-on-the-outside sugar cookie coated in cinnamon & sugar! They get their slight tangy taste from the addition of Cream of Tartar (in German, Weinstein). Cream of Tartar is a byproduct of winemaking & comes as a powder! If you don’t have this at home, you can also substitute it with lemon juice or white vinegar, but I recommend trying to find it to make sure you get the classic snickerdoodle taste!
Happy baking & don’t forget to tag @nickxfritz_munich in your snaps because we love seeing your creations!
Quantity: ~24 cookies
- 340 g / 1 1/3 cups flour
- ½ TL / ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 TL / 1 tsp cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- 125g / ½ c butter, softened to room temperature
- 300 g / 1 ½ c sugar + 2 EL / 2 tbsp for coating
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 2 EL / 2 tbsp cinnamon - for the coating
- Preheat the oven to 200°C & line 2 baking sheets with baking paper
- Sift together the flour, cream of tartar, salt, & baking soda. Set this aside for now
- Using a hand- or stand-mixer, mix together the sugar & butter until thoroughly combined. Add the egg & mix well
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in two batches, mixing well between each addition. The cookie dough will be on the drier side but should still stick together well
- Once the dough is ready, mix together 2 EL / 2 tbsp sugar & 2 EL / 2 tbsp cinnamon in a small bowl. This is the coating
- Using two spoons or your hands, shape the dough into small balls (~1.5
cm diameter) & roll them in the cinnamon sugar mixture before placing them onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper. The cookies will spread out so space them out generously
- Bake the cookies for 6-10 minutes. I prefer these cookies on the thinner, crispier side so I bake them for the full 10 minutes. If you like them thicker & softer, bake them for 6-8 minutes – just until the tops start looking cracked!
- Let them cool on a cooling rack & enjoy!
Post a pic and tag us @nickxfritz_munich with your version!
Every Thursday we post a new recipe! Sign up for our newsletter & get the recipes right to your inbox every Friday!