Cardamom Pound Cake
Cardamom Pound Cake Recipe
This simple, yet deliciously rich & moist, cake is my all-time favorite! We even had it at our wedding 😊 The cardamom spice adds a unique flavor that goes perfectly with a creamy pound cake. I like to make it as a layer cake with a fruit filling & whipped cream icing. This time I tried it with a buttercream icing & have to admit, it is a lot better with whipped cream (I included the instructions for the whipped cream version below!). The buttercream is too sweet & dry for this cake whereas the more moist whipped cream is slightly absorbed by the pound cake, creating the perfect texture! If you prefer your pound cake au natural, this recipe also fits in a bundt pan.
Happy baking & don’t forget to tag @nickxfritz_munich in your snaps because we love seeing your creations!
Quantity: 1 bundt cake or 2 23cm layer cakes – serves 10-12
- 250 g / 1 c butter, softened to room temperature
- 600g / 3 c sugar
- 384 g / 3 c flour
- 6 eggs
- 2 TL / 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ TL / 1 ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 475ml / 2 c milk
- Fruit jam or marmalade for the filling (if you choose to make a layer cake)
- Fresh fruits for the filling (if you choose to make a layer cake)
- 475ml / 2 c whipping cream, 1 EL sugar, 1-2 TL jam for the frosting (optional)
- Pre-heat your oven to 135°C & butter your cake pans / bundt pan
- Cream the butter & sugar together until fully mixed & fluffy. Add eggs 2 at a time & mix well
- Add the milk + vanilla & the flour + cardamom alternately until fully mixed in (i.e. flour, milk, flour, milk)
- Pour the batter into your prepared cake pans or bundt pan
- Bake it first for 1 hour at 135°C then increase the temperature to 175°C & bake it the cake for 15-20 minutes longer. Do not overbake, it will dry out! Test whether it is done but inserting a toothpick in the middle of the cake. The toothpick will come out dry when the cake is done.
- If you made the bundt cake & want to frost it with whipped cream, follow the instructions in # 1 below. If you are making the layer cake version, follow the instructions below to assemble!
To assemble the layer cake:
- Allow the 2 cake layers to fully cool before assembling. While the cake is cooling, make your whipped cream. For this cake, you don't need to sweeten the whipped cream much as the cake is rich on it’s own. Additionally, I add 1-2 TL of the same flavor jam as the fresh fruit I am using to the whipped cream, i.e. if you fill the cake with strawberries, add a few TL of strawberry jam to the whipped cream.
- Pro tip: Normally the perfect consistency for whipped cream is just stiff enough so that it can hold peaks. When using it for frosting, whip it just past this level so it is slightly “overwhipped”. This will help the whipped cream hold its shape better when spreading it.
- Pro tip: go thicker than you would expect! The jam will be partially absorbed by the cake so make the layer extra thick.
Post a pic and tag us @nickxfritz_munich with your version!
Every Thursday we post a new recipe! Sign up for our newsletter & get the recipes right to your inbox every Friday!