Gingerbread Cookie Recipe
We love Christmas at Nick&Fritz HQ! The tree has already been up for a week and you can bet we started making our Christmas cookies. We tried a bunch of different gingerbread recipes to find the perfect balance between crunchy and yet still soft when you bite into them. Below is our pick – we hope you like it too!
Check out our IGTV @nickxfritz_munich for a step-by-step tutorial and helpful pro tips!
Makes ~40 cookies
- 1 c / 200g brown sugar
- 1 c / 325g molasses
- 1 1/8 c / 225g vegan butter
- 1 tbsp / 1 EL natron
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp / 2 TL baking powder
- ½ tsp / ½ TL ginger
- ½ tsp / ½ TL cinnamon
- ½ tsp / ½ TL nutmeg
- 4 ½ c / 370g flour
- ¼ c / 60ml cold water
- Combine the sugar, molasses, and vegan butter in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until the mixture is fully melted and smooth (~5 minutes). Pro tip: Stir semi-frequently to avoid the bottom burning. If this seems to be a problem, reduce the heat.
- Once fully melted, remove from heat and transfer mixture to a mixing bowl. Add the water and natron and whisk to combine. Let the mixture cool to room temp.
- Once cooled, add the egg, salt, baking powder, and spices. Mix well and add the flour. Pro tip: add the flour in two batches combining in between each addition for a smoother mixture.
- Shape the dough into 2 balls. Cover and refrigerate for minimum 2 hours. Pro tip: You can also freeze one ball to use later!
2 hours later…
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Line baking trays with baking paper and prepare a lightly floured surface. Roll out the dough to about ½ cm thickness and cut out cookies using cookie cutters!
- Bake for 9 minutes. Pro tip: space the cookies out more than you’d think as they will spread!
- Let cool fully before icing. We iced ours using royal icing – which we will be sharing a tutorial on next Thursday! Stay tuned 😊
Post a pic and tag us @nickxfritz_munich with your version! Happy Baking!
Every Thursday we post a new recipe and tutorial! Check back in next week for the latest!