Mum's Strawberry Shortcake
Mum’s Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
This dessert is the epitome of summer to me! My mom would make it with the first batch of local strawberries that we would buy from the “Berry Lady” on the side of the road near our cottage in Nova Scotia – where I spent every summer. It was always a debate whether to slice the strawberries or smash the strawberries. Personally, I am team “smashed berries” because then they are extra juicy & the fluffy shortcake soaks up all the yummy berry juice! But you do you. 😊 Serve with extra whipping cream, of course, & enjoy outside in the sunshine!
Happy baking & don’t forget to tag @nickxfritz_munich in your snaps because we love seeing your creations!
Quantity: 1 shortcake (23cm square baking pan) – serves 6-9 depending on how generously you cut the cake!
- 256g / 2 cups flour
- 1/2 TL / 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 EL / 1 tbsp baking powder
- 100g / ½ c sugar + 1 EL for the top
- Pinch of sea salt
- 125g / ½ cup margarine
- 237ml / 1 cup buttermilk or 237 ml / 1 cup fresh milk + 1 EL / 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 TL / 1 tsp vanilla
- Strawberries - for topping
- 237 ml / 1 cup whipping cream - for topping
- Grease 1 23cm square baking pan & preheat the oven to 200°C / 400°F
- If you are making buttermilk with vinegar & milk, combine these two now & set aside. If you have buttermilk, skip ahead to step 3
- Mix all the dry ingredients together using a whisk or fork
- Use a pastry cutter (see photo below!) to mix in the margarine until the whole mixture is crumbly
- Pour in the buttermilk & vanilla. Use a fork to mix the wet & dry ingredients together until the dry mixture is moist. The whole mixture will look very lumpy
- Pour the batter into your greased pan & spread it out to the edges. Sprinkle the remaining 1 EL / 1 tbsp of sugar over the batter
- Bake for 20 minutes until the top is golden & a toothpick stuck in the middle of the cake comes out clean
- Whip the whipping cream while the cake is baking & prepare the strawberries by cutting them small & smashing them with a fork (or not!)
- Once the shortcake is done, remove from oven & let cool before assembling
- To assemble, cut squares of shortcake in half, pour the smashed or cut strawberries on the bottom half of the cake. Place the top half of the shortcake on top of the strawberries & top the whole thing with more strawberries & whipped cream. Enjoy!
Storage notes: the shortcake can be made up to 1 day ahead of time, covered with plastic wrap, & stored at room temperature. Alternatively, the shortcake can be made in advance & stored up to 2 weeks in an airtight container in the freezer.
Post a pic and tag us @nickxfritz_munich with your version!
Every Thursday we post a new recipe! Sign up for our newsletter & get the recipes right to your inbox every Friday!