Nutella Banana Layer Cake
Banana Nutella Layer Cake Recipe
It was Nick’s birthday last week which means Banana Nutella Layer Cake in our house! I have been making him the same birthday cake every year since we got together – 9 cakes so far! 😊 The layers consist of 2 fudge-y chocolate cakes which are then filled with sliced bananas & Nutella. Finally, it's iced with Nutella Swirl Frosting. It’s A LOT, I know, but hey, your birthday only happens once a year so go big or go home! :D
Happy baking & don’t forget to tag @nickxfritz_munich in your snaps because we love seeing your creations!
Quantity: 1 layer cake – serves 12-14
- 310g / 1 ¼ c butter
- 65g / ¾ c cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 TL / 1 tsp vanilla
- 300g / 2 c sugar
- 128g / 1 c flour
- 350ml / 1 ½ c whipping cream
- 2-3 bananas, sliced for the filling & garnish
- Nutella for the filling & frosting
- Grease 2 circular springform pans & set aside
- Preheat the oven to 175°C / 350°F
- Melt the butter in a double boiler or the microwave, remove from heat & add the cocoa. Stir until the cocoa is well blended & set aside to cool
- Beat the eggs until frothy, add the salt & vanilla. Gradually add the sugar while still stirring the eggs. Once the sugar is incorporated, add the cooled chocolate mixture & blend thoroughly
- Fold in the flour until just incorporated
- Pour the batter into your prepared springform pans & bake for 20-25 minutes. Be careful not to overcook, the inside should remain gooey!
- Once cooked, remove from the oven & set aside to cool. To prevent the cake from sticking in the springform pan, gently run a thin knife along the edge of the cake to loosen the edges
- While the cake is cooking & cooling, prepare the Nutella Swirl Frosting. Whip the whipping cream on high until stiff peaks form in the cream & then a few seconds past this! Remove the whipped cream from the mixer, using a rubber spatula, gently fold in 3 EL / 3 tbsp of Nutella (more or less as you prefer!) into the whipped cream. To make sure your whipped cream retains its stiffness, do not stir it – gently folding it will also give you the “swirl” effect.
- Pro tip: slightly “over mixing” the whipped cream to start will give you a better end texture after folding in the Nutella! This is because stirring the whipped cream causes it to lose air, or “deflate”, more quickly.
- Pro tip: add a dollop or two additional of Nutella on top of the bananas to give the top layer something to stick to
Storage notes: the cake can be made & frosted up to 1 day ahead of time & stored in the refrigerator. Alternatively, the cake layers can be made in advance & stored up to 2 weeks in an airtight container in the freezer.
Post a pic and tag us @nickxfritz_munich with your version!
Every Thursday we post a new recipe! Sign up for our newsletter & get the recipes right to your inbox every Friday!