Vegan Spicy Hot Chocolate Cookies
We created the perfect recipe for #veganuary & when you need a little pick-me-up. A pinch of chili powder & cinnamon gives these rich chocolate cookies just the right amount of kick to warm you up on a snowy day, while still being plant-based! 😉
Vegan Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies
Quantity: This recipe makes ~18 large cookies & can easily be doubled to make more!
*Note: we linked a few of the less common ingredients at the end to help you find them in Germany! 😊
- 113g / ½ c plant-based margarine, softened to room temperature
- 150g / ¾ c refined sugar
- 30 ml / 1/8 c water
- 1 EL / 1 tbsp molasses (*- Zuckerruebensirup)
- 288g / 1 1/8 c flour
- 20g / ¼ c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 TL / 1 tsp cream of tartar (*)
- 1 TL / 1 tsp cornstarch
- ½ TL / ½ tsp baking soda (*- Backnatron)
- Pinch of salt
- Cookie coating: 25g / 1/8 c refined sugar; 1 TL / 1 tsp cinnamon; & ¼ TL / ¼ tsp chili powder (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C & line two baking trays with baking paper
Pro tip: it’s super important to pre-heat your oven so when your goodies go in, it is already at the correct temperature! Trust us, temperature matters, baby!
- If the temperature is too low, your cookies will require longer to bake which can cause them to dry out
- Alternatively, if the temperature is too high, it causes the sugar in your desserts to melt too quickly & rise to the top created a crusty, almost caramelized outer layer with an undercooked inner layer.
- Cream together sugar & margarine until fluffy. Add water & molasses, blend until homogenous
- Sift together your flour, cocoa powder, cream of tartar, cornstarch, baking soda & salt. Add it to your sugar mixture & blend well. The end consistency will be a soft & fluffy batter - it holds its shape but is easily malleable
- Prepare the cookie coating in a small bowl. Using your hands, create ~2cm sized balls with the cookie dough & roll these in the cookie coating before placing on the prepared backing trays
- Pro tip: these cookies will spread out a lot! Space them out widely on your baking tray
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove cookies to a cooling rack & enjoy!
- Pro tip: it’s super important to pre-heat your oven so when your goodies go in, it is already at the correct temperature! Trust us, temperature matters, baby!
Post a pic and tag us @nickxfritz_munich with your version! Happy Baking!
Every Thursday we post a new recipe! Check out our other recipes here