Lemon Vanilla Cupcakes
Lemon Vanilla Cupcake
Quantity: 12 Cupcakes
Time: 30 minutes prep, 20 minutes baking + time to decorate
- sugar mix
- flour mix
- topping mix
- 12 cupcake cups
- sprinkles to decorate
- piping bag
Ingredients (not included):
- 85g butter, softened - for cupcakes
- 2 eggs
- 95ml milk + more for icing
- 170g butter, softened - for icing
- 1 lemon
Tools (not included):
- stand or hand mixer
- cupcake baking tray
- tool to grate the lemon
- 2 mixing bowls
- Pre-heat oven to 175°C & place the cupcake cups in standard muffin tray
- Cream 85g butter & sugar mix, beat until fluffy.
- Separately grate the whole lemon for the zest. Pro tip: make sure to always rotate the lemon & stop grating when you see white! The white part has a very bitter taste. After grating the lemon, cut it in half & juice both sides. You will need 2-3 TL, depending on how lemon-y you want the icing
- Add the eggs one at a time. Beating well after adding each egg. Now add half of the lemon rind & 1 TL of lemon juice. The batter will appear loose & chunky at this point, don't worry, it comes together smoothly with the flour mix & milk!
- Alternately add the flour mix & 95ml milk (flour, milk, repeat) to the butter & egg mixture. Mix on low speed until the batter has a smooth consistency
- Evenly distribute the batter in the 12 cupcake cups & bake for 20 minutes
For the icing:
- Beat 170g of butter on high speed for ~5 minutes, until very fluffy. Pro tip: a stand-mixer is more powerful than a hand-mixer, so increase the time if using a hand-mixer
- Sift the topping mix into a bowl & add it to the butter in 3 batches. Add the leftover lemon zest & 1-2 tsp of lemon juice after the first 2 topping mix batches. Beat butter on high for 2-3 minutes after each addition
- The icing should have a light, fluffy texture & be easily spreadable but still hold a shape. If the icing is too stiff, add 1-2 tsp milk to soften it (optional step)
- To decorate the cupcakes, start by snipping the end off of the piping bag to make ~1cm hole & scoop the icing into the piping bag. Twist the top of the piping bag closed, use one hand to hold the twisted part closed & use your other hand to apply steady pressure while squeezing the icing onto the fully cooled cupcakes in a swirl & decorate with sprinkles!
Note: the cupcakes can be frozen un-iced for up to 1 month & the frosting can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 week before using it - both in an airtight container. Once iced, enjoy immediately or store in the fridge for up to 2 days.