Orange Confetti Layer Cake Baking Kit - English Recipe
Recipe: Orange Cream Cake
- Flour Mix
- Sugar Mix
- Sprinkle Mix
- Topping Mix
- 1 orange
- Sprinkles for decorating
Ingredients (not included):
- 125g / ½ c butter – softened to room temperature for the cake
- 125g / ½ c butter – softened to room temperature for the frosting
- 2 eggs
- 160ml / 2/3c milk + more to soften the icing if needed (see step 10.3)
Baking Tools (not included):
- Hand- or stand-mixer
- 2x 22-28cm springform cake pans
- Grater & citrus press
- 2 mixing bowls
- Plate & knife
- Preheat the oven to 175°C / 350°F & grease both of the springform pans
- Start by preparing the orange zest & juice. Wash the orange & grate the whole rind. Pro-tip: continuously rotate the orange & stop grating as soon as you see white. The white part of the rind is very bitter!
- After grating the orange, cut it in half & juice both halves. Set aside the orange zest & juice until you need it
- Using a hand- or stand-mixer, beat the Sugar Mix & 125g of butter together until it is fully combined & fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add half of the orange zest & 2 tsp of orange juice when you add the second egg
- Once the eggs, juice, & zest are fully mixed in, add the Flour Mix & milk alternately (Flour Mix, milk, repeat) & mix until the batter is homogenous & smooth
- Lastly, pour the Sprinkle Mix into the cake batter & using a spatula, gently stir in the sprinkles until they are evenly distributed throughout the batter
- Evenly distribute the cake batter between your 2 prepared springform cake pans & bake for 20-22 minutes! Pro-tip: Insert a toothpick or skewer into the center of the cake to check whether it is done. If there is wet batter stuck to the cake, bake it for a little longer!
- When the cakes are done, let them cool on a cooling rack. Pro-tip: run a thin knife along the edge of the cake to loosen it from the springform pan, making it easier to remove later!
- To make the frosting:
- Beat 125g of butter on high speed for ~5 minutes, until very fluffy. Pro tip: take the butter out of the fridge 2-3 hours before you plan to use it to ensure it is softened!
- Sift the Topping Mix into a bowl & add it to the butter in 3 batches. Add the leftover orange zest & 1-2 tsp of orange juice after mixing in the first 2 topping mix batches. Beat butter on high for 2-3 minutes after each addition
- If the frosting is too stiff, add 1-2 EL milk to soften it (optional step)
- To assemble the layer cake:
- Once the cakes are fully cooled, gently remove them from the springform pans & place one cake on a plate. Using a knife, spread a thin layer of frosting on top of the cake on the plate & carefully layer the second cake on top of the bottom cake
- Finish by spreading the rest of the frosting over the top & sides of the cake & decorating with sprinkles!
Storage notes: the cakes can be made & frozen up to 1 month ahead of time. The frosting can be made up to 3 days ahead of time & stored in the fridge. Take it out 1-2 hours before using to allow it to soften. Once the cake is frosted, enjoy it immediately & store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 days.